IRMER Course - Training for Dental Professionals
A one-day course providing theoretical training in accordance with the Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (IRMER) 2000
GDP. Dam street Dental Practice Lichfield. Prior
to going into dentistry, Kevin qualified as a
radiographer. Kevin lectures regularly for the
West Midlands Postgraduate Dental Deanery
Background to IRMER course
“No practitioner or operator shall carry out a medical exposure or any practical aspect without having been adequately trained” (Reg 11) The Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations 2000 (IRMER) IRMER imposes significant requirements for patient protection. This course will bring you up to date with changes to legislation concerning dental radiography and ensure you are aware of statutory responsibilities. Covering the principles of justification, optimisation and limitation this one day course satisfies both the IRMER regulations and core CPD requirements as recommended by the GDC.
Course Aims & Objectives:
- Discuss the risk of ionising radiation and the principles of radiation protection in dental radiology
- Outline statutory responsibilities
- State radiation doses in dental radiology and the factors affecting radiation dose
- Discuss the importance of quality assurance measures
- Discuss the use of selection criteria in relation to dental radiography
- Discuss the changes to legislation concerning dental radiology
- Understand the different imaging modalities currently available e.g. 2D and 3D (CBCT) digital imaging
- Understand the risks of ionising radiation and the principles of radiation protection in dental radiology
- Be aware of statutory responsibilities
- Understand and perform quality assurance measures
- Understand current selection criteria in relation to dental radiography
- Be aware of current legislation concerning dental radiology
- Understand the different imaging modalities currently available
Dental practitioners and xray operators (hygienists, therapists and dental nurses) who have already obtained their dental radiography certificate.
This one day training course meets the educational criteria set by the GDC for 6 hours of CORE verifiable CPD and is certified by Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust.